ActiveReports v3.1 brings several enhancements that improve the product experience for developers, report authors, and end-users of your application.
No More UI Freeze When Using Large Datasets
ActiveReportsJS runs and renders reports on the client-side in the browser. There are multiple stages of report rendering – data processing, layout building, and drawing. Data processing could be a heavy task if using a large data set because it involves reading, parsing, and transforming operations. ActiveReportsJS now processes the data in the background thread using Web Workers technology. In practice, this means that the page in the browser does not freeze when a report is bound to a large dataset. It significantly improves the user experience. Here is an example of a report that shows 50,000 records.
The PDF Export now allows generating PDF/A-compliant documents. You could set the PDF/A-2b and PDF/A-3b compliance levels by using the Version property of the PDF Settings in the UI or API calls.
The brand new Layers Editor UI allows you to create and manage report layers. This feature could be useful to vary the report output based on the target device – viewer, export, or printed document. Read more information on the Report Layers page.
Chart Overlays and Trendlines
You can now supply a chart with reference lines, reference bands, and trendlines, including regressions lines and moving averages. Read more information on the Overlays page.
Other Chart Improvements
- Chart Axes now support custom labels and the Writing Mode property for labels
- It is now possible to set the size of a chart axis
- Financial charts now support dynamic rules
- The Line plot now allows swapping the X and Y axes using the SwapAxes property
- The Size legend now supports custom ranges
- The data values now allow setting the Caption property to display it in the legend
- The Text decoration now supports the Double Underline style
- The Tablix data region now allows setting the order of content chunks' appearance when the content grows in both horizontal and vertical directions
- The Fixed Page Layout now allows setting the Page Size and Orientation for each page individually
- The Barcode now supports Aztec 2D and GS1 DataMatrix symbologies